The COVID- 19 virus came upon the world in a manner so sudden and so unforeseen that many economies are being shocked into recession.
Even Harvard- trained economists could not foretell the impact on livelihoods or the chain reaction the pandemic would have on international markets.
However, amid pay cuts, job losses, recession and other negative economic news, some industries are smiling to the bank.
- Healthcare: The health care workers have been in the spotlight since the outbreak of the pandemic. Health workers are the most vulnerable group of people due to their exposure to patients. This has inspired many governments and private bodies to provide hazard allowances and monetary incentives for health workers. Also, the high demand for surgical masks, gloves, antiseptic and other equipment have led to a profit boom for health equipment manufacturers.
- Research: More than ever before, funds are being channeled into the researching of COVID- 19 vaccines. Tech gurus, billionaires, entertainers and other private organisations are providing massive financial support to health institutions and research bodies worldwide.
- Agriculture: The one thing everyone cannot do without is food. Farmers and agricultural entrepreneurs are having a good time as they provide for the essential needs of millions of people.
- Social media: Not only does social media update with the latest news, it also provides a connection that many people cannot have in a physical sense. It informs, it entertains and it gives people a place to go when they have to stay at home.
- E- learning: There is just so much that one can learn on social media. The stay-at-home period provides people who have had the ambitions of studying online do just that. Every other day or so, there are links to free and discounted courses across different fields.